7.12.2012

Cabbage Sesame Salad


As Ry and I just celebrated a year of marriage, {and what an amazingly fast year it was} I wanted to reflect what it meant, what is different, what is the same and basically my reflection on what it has been for me. I am not the easiest person in the slightest. I am hard headed, I like to argue, I am too honest, and I love to be right. I also however have learned that I am patient, loyal to the core, and fiercely compassionate.

To put what Ry means to me into words seems like an improbable task, because the more we go through the more I love him. I love him for making me laugh in the ER, for constantly being supportive, for knowing exactly what I need when I am having a hard day, whether that be getting my girlfriends on the phone or making me go for a run. I love him for being able to see my faults as endearing, for seeing me as the best version of myself and for pushing me to be more than I think I can be. These are things that don't even begin to cover everything but they are indeed pieces that make up a whole.

This year was different, marriage in my mind makes it different, in every positive aspect. I think, in retrospect, even living together does not make one prepared for a marriage. Yes, it gives you ideas of how the other person lives, just like every other roommate does. What is doesn't give you an idea about it your mindset. I still felt like when we were not married, we were both striving to accomplish individual goals, whereas now, my mindset is with "family". Because even though it is just us to, and the dynamics haven't changed all that much, the concept of what is good for us is not necessarily the same as if I were just thinking about myself.

Marriage makes you think outside yourself, it is something that makes you less selfish and more selfless.  I am myself but better. I want to be better, for not only myself but for my husband. I owe that to him, because he has done the same for me.


So here I am to give you a salad of sorts, something that may not sound celebratory, but when I made it, I certainly celebrated.

Cabbage Sesame Salad
1 head small leafy cabbage (you could also use kale here), blanched
1 tsp toasted sesame oil
1 tsp soy sauce
2 tsp rice vinegar
1 tsp ginger juice
2 tsp toasted sesame seeds

Place cabbage in a bowl.

Whisk the sesame oil, soy sauce, rice vinegar and ginger juice together, 
and pour over cabbage and toss.

Sprinkle the sesame seeds in and toss again.

Spoon into another separate bowl as you will have leftover dressing at the bottom of the mixing bowl.

Enjoy {as much as I did}


1 comment: