11.11.2011

Kung Pao Chicken

I'd first like to preface with an apology, because I recognize that not having pictures is really drilling into your side. I promise, now that I am back to regular schedule I will utilize my camera again soon. But because I told you I would have a recipe again soon, I wanted to keep my word. 

I have this bad habit of remaking a recipe over and over again if I like it and its good. Makes sense, right? Not to the Mr. According to him, I have made the same asian style vegetable dish more times in the last two months than he would like to mention, and he suggested I "branch out". He is right I suppose, because when I can memorize a dish with over 18 ingredients and whip it out in no time flat, then I have probably overdone it.

There is something about garlic, chilis, ginger and soy that makes my mouth water. Yes, I said it. And in fact its watering right now just thinking about those ingredients.

Keeping his request in mind and wanting to keep inside my asian influenced dish obsession, I decided to take on Kung Pao Chicken. I love it. What I didn't love about the basic dish, is the lack of vegetables, so I took it on as my own and spun some in.

Kung Pao Chicken 
adapted from rasamalaysia

Marinade
1 tablespoon corn starch
2 teaspoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon Sherry
1 teaspoon peanut oil
Sauce
 3 tablespoon light soy sauce
2 teaspoon dark soy sauce
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon sherry vinegar
4 tablespoons water
2 teaspoon corn starch
Ingredients
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into pieces
1 small fistful of peanuts
9 dried chilies deseeded
5TB neutral oil such as vegetable
2 cups chopped broccoli
8 large slices of ginger, cut into slivers
4-5 cloves of garlic, minced
5 scallion stalks, chopped

Marinate the chicken (in the marinade) for 30 minutes.

Coat the Wok, or pan with oil and cook the chicken until it is about 80% done,
which should take about 5 minutes.

Remove chicken from pan and set aside.

Add chilies and ginger to same pan in remaining oil, and saute until aromatic, then add
the garlic and cook for another minute or so.

Add the chicken and broccoli, and cook for about 3 minutes.

Add the peanuts and scallions and sauce, in that order.

Stir and cook for a few more minutes, then turn off the heat.

Serve over rice, and enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment