8.15.2011

Salted Caramels.

I love summer. I love the heat, the sunshine, and mainly, the long hours of light. As much as I love to capture the sunlight and garden all day long, there are those Sundays where all I really want to do is relax inside and cook something I haven't ever made before. The time allows me to be patient with cooking.

There was one slow sunday morning and all I could think about was caramel.

I know its summer, and I recognize that caramel as the Mr. puts it "reminds him of winter", but truthfully I didn't care. I wanted some sugary milky goodness.


Two hours later, and there it was....


...a platter of yumminess that I spend the next week giving away.


Salted Caramels by way of David Lebovitz
3/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt, plus more for garnish
4 TB butter
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Warm the cream with the 1/2 tsp salt, vanilla extract and 2TB of butter to just under a boil and set aside.

Cook the sugar & corn syrup together in a small sauce pot.

Using a candy thermometer, heat the mixture (while stirring occasionally and gently) to 310 degrees F.

When the temperature reaches 310, take off of the heat and slowly pour the milk into the mixture.

Stir until mixture is completely smooth.

Put mixture back on the heat until it reaches 260 degrees F.

Take off of the heat and stir in the remaining butter.

Pour the mixture into a pan lined with aluminum foil and coated with butter or spray canola.

Cool for ten minutes then sprinkle with salt. 

Let cool, then cut into pieces. 

No comments:

Post a Comment