5.14.2012

Sushi Rice

A true conversation in my household:

me: "hey Ry."
Ry: "yes dear."
me: "Did you know that Washington borders Canada?"
Ry: {chucking} "um, yes, i did. you didn't"
me: "well no. i mean I knew it was north, but never really put two and two together. in fact, i realized today that i am absolutely terrible at geography. comedically actually."

As the conversation progressed and Ry quizzed me on "the states", we both couldn't help but laugh. It was one of those hilarious faults that you realize you have that force you to take yourself down a notch and giggle. In retrospect, I suppose having history after lunch in high school was not such a great idea.



There are a lot of things I am not good at. Geography, playing music, dancing, understanding my IRA, just to name a few... Some of them I have accepted and others, I am working on. When I met Ry, one of the first meals I made for him was disastrous, involving coconut milk, rice, ahi, lemongrass and garlic. Needless to say, that night he learned that I am was terrible at making rice. RICE. I know. Shameful.

I have since learned how to make rice properly, which is probably a good thing because you can't really get away with making sushi rolls without it.



Sushi Rice

2 cups short-grained Japanese-style rice 
2 1/4 cups water
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar

Wash rice well in a few changes of cold water.
 Drain rice well, place in a heavy-bottomed pot and cover with 2 1/2 cups water.
 Cover the pot with a tight-fitting lid, bring to a boil, and and reduce immediately to low heat.
 Cook the rice for 15 minutes.
  Turn off the heat, and let the rice sit for another 10 minutes.
 Mix together the rice wine vinegar, salt, and sugar. Stir until the sugar is dissolved.
 When the rice is cooked, turn it out into a bowl, and pour the seasoning mixture over the rice.
 Gently stir with a wooden paddle, using a cutting action, until the rice is evenly coated.
 Let the rice cool before using.



No comments:

Post a Comment