4.09.2012

{No Mayo} Pickled Beet Deviled Eggs.



Somewhere in between two and five I was such a brat. I was the kid who babysitters hated to be around. Whether it was me cutting off my hair, screaming about not wanting to go to bed, or, yes, throwing toys at them, I totally went there as a child. My mothers solution was to put me in to sports, all.the.time. Every sport you could possibly put a child in, I did it. And by the time I would come home, I was so tired, I would just pass out. It was brilliant in fact. And now, despite my lack of musical or dancing abilities, I am thankful for it.



So one day, somewhere in between basketball and soccer practice, my mom made me a turkey sandwich. I ate it with vengeance, and then it came right back up. Gross I know. It was the fault of an OVER mayonnaise-d sandwich. I know some people love mayo, and will not accept a sandwich without it, but I was and never be one of those people. I am not sure it is fair to blame it entirely on that sandwich, but it is definitely an event I remember. I know my friend, whose name starts with an S will agree with me on this.



That isn't to say that I don't use it every so often, and in fact I completely understand that not everyone has had the same experience that I have had, but I have steered clear of mayonnaise involved recipes, for example deviled eggs. But deviled eggs are so amazingly good you are thinking to yourself, and I happen to agree, now. But yet, still as much as I have tried them, I have time and time again, not loved the idea of mayonnaise filled egg cups.



With Easter around the corner, however, I have been thinking about dying eggs. So when I came across a tid-bit in a magazine recently that touted pickled beet deviled eggs, I could not resist concocting my own little recipe, because the idea is indeed brilliant.

Pickles Beet Deviled Eggs
2 cups distilled white vinegar
1 cup water
1 large red beet, peeled and sliced
6 hardboiled eggs, peeled
3TB creme fraise
1tsp fennel powder
salt and pepper to taste
chives or chervil garnish

Bring vinegar and water to a boil with the sliced beets, let is simmer for 10 minutes then turn off.

Put pickling liquid in tubberware and allow to cool to room temperature.

Place eggs in pickling mixture and allow to soak for 1-2hours in the fridge.

Slice eggs in half, and whip together egg yolks with remaining ingredients, and then assemble.

Garnish and enjoy.


1 comment:

  1. Few things are prettier than beet juice, it's pretty amazing that all of that vibrant color comes from a root vegetable. This almost makes me want to eat deviled eggs, between the beautiful presentation and the smart swap of creme fraiche for mayonnaise (I'm with you on that food fear, unless it is freshly made aioli), still I'm not sure I can get behind hard-boiled eggs gussied up or not, so I will indulge in the pictures instead!

    ReplyDelete