12.03.2011

Butternut Squash Soup

I must admit that sometimes I can be a bit of a snob. I can spend countless hours deciding on something because .a. I only every really want to buy something once (which is partially why I am mad that my can opener, which i bought 7 years ago no longer works)   .b. I want it to be good quality (which is why I have spent close to 3 months researching which new can opener I should purchase-if you have a recommendation, please tell me!) .c. I want to really want it and actually use it, or else .d. I really don't want it. This extends to clothing, kitchen appliances, gadgets, tools, food, anything really.

Ry bought a PS3 two years ago. Not that I needed some sort of video-gaming-dvd-hd-streaming thing, but he honestly thought he would utilize it more. Its two years later, and the only thing we have actually accomplished with that technology is streamed Netflix. We even canceled our Netflix movie rental service because we truthfully never used it. So here I am, two years later and all I want to do is get rid of the dang thing because we don't use it to its potential. In my mind, why not give it to someone who will and get something that is more practical for us, like... may I dare say it, a streaming box.

I'm the same in a restaurant. I take forever placing an order. Sometimes, I will review a menu before we go to a restaurant just so I have a head start. The Mr. always gives me a knowing smile when he looks at me in restaurants and I am in pure silence peering at those picture-less words with my ever so expanding  nearsighted pupils. Menus that are four pages long and packed with options scare me. I. just. get. so. over. whelmed. I will analyze every ingredient, every possible way I might feel afterward, like, "could I have done that better" and "was that really worth the calories" (yes, I know, shameful). I truthfully always think I am going to order something I will regret later. 

I stood at a ordering window at a local dig the other day, and asked the young flamboyant gentleman behind the counter what their soup of the day was, "Squash Soup, well wait, technically, buttttttternut squash, it's soooo yummy, with a drizzle of delicious oil and homemade croutons". He sounded so convincing. This was something I absolutely had to have, even though he was lacking some simple knowledge in the actual components. I dove in, "I will take one" I said, so sure of my decision.  Needless to say, I ate it in my car, while driving back to work (a no-no, I know).... and in the end, it was good, not great. I was happy to have taken the plunge to try this "delicious soup", but I was without a doubt convinced I could do better.

Butternut Squash Soup
4-5 cups Butternut Squash, chopped
5 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
1 large leek, chopped
3 TB olive oil
1/4-1/2 cup heavy cream
water
salt and pepper
(yes, thats it.)

Simmer the leeks with the olive oil in a large pot, covered, stirring frequently
After leeks are translucent to golden brownish, add the garlic, and cook for another minute.
Add the butternut squash and enough water to cover it.
Allow to cook until soft, then blend using an immersion blender.
Add cream, salt and pepper to taste.
Enjoy this easy meal.
(preferably with a delicious baguette)


No comments:

Post a Comment